THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Kids, sports and parents

Why are parents so obessesed with their child's extra curricular activities?
I guess it's hard for me to understand why parents make such a big deal out things like this. I guess I can understand being a little involved in your child's team, if say they were in middle or high school. But, a team made up of 5, 6 and 7 year olds? The coach said, on the first day. I really want to win. I like to win. But, don't worry, league rules say every child has to get in 10 plays. I don't know much about flag football. But, 10 plays can be made in 1 quarter...actually 10 plays can be made in the first possesion. So...that isn't so comforting. My son is 5 and there are three other boys the same age. I think the coach said that there are 7 6 year olds and 6 7 year olds. Hmmm....4 5 year olds that won't see much play time. Today was a good practice but I can tell GL was getting frustrated. They had him as an offensive line man. Actually all 4 5 years were offensive line man. They don't do much but block in flag and that's hard when you can't touch. So, GL got sick of not being able to pull the flag and started chasing his own teammates!!! I laughed so hard. I thought it was cute. Oh no...the other parents were not really upset...but couldn't believe that he would do that.
I said, well it's his first year to play, and the coaches are teaching him anything except how to stand still and block. He is bored and wants to run and chase the ball like the older boys.
Right now...GL is having a lot of fun and loves all of his teammates. I don't think he realizes that he isn't getting to play like the other kids. I'm not making a big deal about it to him. I want him to have fun and learn to play on a team. I think it builds character and also, some of these boys could be in his Kindergarten class which will be really nice for him to start out having a friend already.
Also, found out today that practice will be on Tuesday, Wed. and Thursday. Since Wed. nights are Awana nights looks like we will not be going to practice. I still think my son would benefit more from learning about Christ then football practice.
The rules in our league states that we have to make every effort to attend every practice for the team.
I think I'm still doing that. Wed. nights are just out of the question.
So...again...why are parents so obessesed with their kids and sports. I guess they just want their child to do well and fit in with all the other kids.
I think we all know what it is like not to fit in with your peers and it is hard being a kid. Kids are just down right mean sometimes. I think we don't want our children to go through some of the trials we did as children so we worry and become obessesed about our kids and what they are doing. I'm sure there are those parents that want to relive their childhood through their children. Me, not being one of those parents. However, I do worry about Garrett and how he will be accepted by his peers. I worry about him getting hurt. I remember how hard it was. I just want him to be proud of himself no matter what he does with his life.
Right now...he loves Science and Space and wants to be an astronaut when he grows up or fly airplanes or work for NASA. We've already taken him to NASA and I think we need to make another trip this year when dad gets home. I know one day my little baby boy is going to be flying to Mars or maybe he will help build a space station on the moon that will be used a fueling station of some sort.
Who knows...maybe he will invent something that will help man fly farther than they have ever flown before.
I don't know...I don't care...really...as long as he has God in his life and loves himself and others...that is all I care about...oh...and that he is happy with what ever he decides to do with his life.
Sorry for getting so deep here. Again...worried parent here. GL is about to start Kindergarten and I'm happy, sad and worried. Happy that he is moving on...sad that I'm loosing my baby boy...well I'm worried that he won't need momma anymore. :(
Well...I'm on my way to Dallas this weekend.
My brother is going to Africa and we are going to take him out for a goodbye type celebration.
OH...Morgan is doing great!!! She can't wait to start dance in September again.
I wish we were closer to home.
Maybe GL could get some football pointers from hi pop pop.
Thanks dad for showing me how to throw a football...and teaching me to play.
I'm having to be the dad...and I'm trying really hard not to play like a girl.
:)
See ya this weekend.
Bye ya

0 comments: