Today I went to Walmart. As I was walking down the isles getting groceries for the week, I noticed a child pushing a cart. At first I didn't pay much attention to him. I thought to myself, when did they get kid size carts here. When I happened to glance again at him, I noticed that it was not a kid size shopping cart but a cart he wheeled around with machines and tubes in it. I'm not sure what it was..I didn't stair or ask him what was wrong with him.
But, what I did notice was his mother.
I couldn't believe the glow this woman had that extruded from her face! She had this huge wonderful smile and her eyes were bright and cheery. She looked like she didn't have a care in the world. Her smile truely brightened my day.
It is hard to explain the feeling this woman gave me. I think it can best be described by absolute utter peace.
As I walked on, I would pass her on each isle, over and over again.
I started to think to myself how lucky I am to have happy and healthy children.
I began to think, how could she be so happy and so easy going and stress free when her son was obviously sick.
Maybe, it was because he hadn't been to the store to walk around in years?
I've never seen them at Walmart and I go all th time.
Maybe, it was that she was just happy to still have him with her.
Then I started to feel guilty because every time I go to Walmart, I never look like that and my kids are healthy.
I should be joyous as she was that my children are still here with me as well.
I wish I had the courage to speak with her.
When I was checking out, she pulled up behind me as I was paying and the little boy went into the video game area of Walmart. I noticed she never took her eye off of him, always smiling, never looked worried or distraught.
ON my way home, I promised that I would blog about this.
Next time I go to Walmart with my children, I will not be that distraught, crazed woman trying to get in and out as quickly as possible. I'm going to remember this woman and be thankful that my kids are with me and healthy...no matter how many times they ask me for chocolate and I say no. Or no matter how many times they ask me to go to the toy isle or to get a movie.
I think sometimes we get so caught up in our worries and our own issues that we forget there are others out there a lot worse off or may have bigger issues than we do.
Sometimes it is good to focus on helping others and caring for others. I think it makes your issues look a lot smaller by comparisson and maybe easier to get through.
PS....sorry for all the misspelled words. It is 1:00 am. I'm not a good speller during the day time, much less at 1:00 am in the morning.
Friday, February 29, 2008
A story to share
Posted by Kirtus and Dana at 10:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Good encouragment for us too. Thanks.
Post a Comment